He still waits



June 12, 2017
18 years ago, I married the best.
And he's been coming back for me ever since. 6 weeks before this photo, my apartment burned down while I slept. I was lucky. 5 weeks prior, electricity struck where I was temporarily living, frying every electrical gadget. I was fine. 1 week prior, his apartment flooded, with any belongings left in my possession. During the same 6 weeks, we had Dave's ordination into ministry, his graduation and he'd moved to AZ to find our first apartment we would finally share.
Jokingly, (kinda) I told him to run. There were 10 biblical plagues, I'd only been through 3, so run far away and don't look back.
But he came back for me. He married me with no hesitation. 6 Days later we started our first full time ministry together.
Sounds like we'd made it though a lot already, but we soon realized we were total opposites. He only had brothers, I only sisters. He was athletic, while I knew every musical around. He remembers stats and facts while I feel memories and think in stories. He makes a decision and goes, while I deliberate and process. He walks and eats and moves at rapid pace while I want to go slow and take it all in. Basically we loved each other, traveling and Jesus. 
Those first years turned into 18, and turns out, we only needed 2 of those 3 to make it.
And although our hearts are sometimes in very different places, he always comes back for me. He waits for me, just as he did at the end of that aisle 18 years ago.
Today we are trekking through new adventures with our 3 kids, I realize every other important relationship prepares you to leave. As a child, you prepare to leave your home. As a parent, you prepare your child to become an adult. Whether military, job, church, community was all designed to teach me something; however, people do move on.
But not my marriage. It goes against the grain. It's designed to stay. It's designed to reflect that one true relationship like God....always coming back for me. He never leaves. No matter what I feel. No matter what I said. Waiting at the end for me.
I told you I'd married the best.  

Comments

Popular Posts