Invest in the Right Things

Skipping rocks, changing a tire, replacing the old screen with new in your porch door. How many things have you learned in life and you figured you'd never really use them?  I have spent hours in trainings  wondering if I was ever going to use some of the items presented. I also grew up in a house that loved reading and learning and therefore I also love to learn new things. But honestly, in most cases, I don't figure I'll need it.  I like being able to say I know a little bit about it, but if life depended on it, probably not enough.
This week, however, the heimlich was one of those items. Thankfully, if you do the work of learning it, God recalls it for you just when you need it. 

 What was wrapping up as an ordinary day with kids coming home from practice, dinner eaten in shifts and me, already snuggled in bed, changed in a manner of moments.  Olivia had been to practice, grabbed her enchiladas and headed to the shower. She had been fighting a cold, and as she put her first bite into her mouth she coughed, thus inhaling and causing the food to lodge in her throat.  Confusion and fear coming into her she realized she could not breath and could not help herself. The next thing I know, she is running into my room, eyes wide, panic on her face and unable to speak. I jumped up and she was already turned around into me, I quickly take one big fist into her diaphragm and out comes the food. I didn't even realize what had happened.  I didn't even have time for adrenaline to kick in. In a matter of moments, what was happening and what needed to happen, was over.  

If you've ever been in a fearful situation you know that the after thoughts are what put you over the edge. The "what-ifs" find a place to rest in your doubts. We both came to the realization of what happened when the shaking and tears and holding each other settled in. But we were going to be ok. And thankfully knowledge that had been hidden away years ago in my brain came forth. The brain can do that. Its wired so complex and yet tomorrow I may not remember how old I am. But maybe tomorrow I won't need that info. 

As I sent my kids off to school today I had time this morning to process all this and again, it brings me back to how important it is to have the discipline to intentionally invest truth into your life and memory. Most days when I read my Bible, not every verse is applicable to my immediate situation. Not everyday do I remember verses I tried to memorize, but when I need them, they come forth. It's not each day that I face decisions that are life and death, but everyday I do make decisions with my tongue and my attitude that can promote life or foster death in how I say it. When God's word is hidden in your heart, you may not feel it everyday. I don't. But it’s there. It’s taking root because what you faithfully put in your brain and heart is what can be recalled later.  What I choose to store in there may not be remembered each and every day because I am human. But I also have realized, when its hidden and if I am forced into a gut reaction where I must act quickly, I have a much better chance at having some wise  truth come out when I have had the discipline earlier to invest in the right things that can promote the right outcomes. 


Comments

Popular Posts